MLK Essay Scholarship
2015-2016 Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Essay Contest Guidelines
The Office of Multicultural Programs and Services welcome submission of essays from matriculating freshmen enrolled at FIU and are Florida residents for the MLK Scholarships. Please follow the directions below:
- All essays should be centered on the theme, “Let Love and Justice Roll” and must make specific references to the life, work and ideals of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Essays should be no longer than 500 words.
- Essays must follow the basic rules of standard English grammar composition.
- Essays must be typed and double-spaced.
- Essays should contain the name of the participant, panther ID#, mail and e-mail addresses, and telephone number.
- Essays must be received by the application deadline on Friday, November 6, 2015 (NOT POSTMARKED).
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- The winners must be enrolled as full-time degree-seeking students at Florida International University with an unweighted high school GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Essays should be the original work of the student.
- First Place - $2,000 towards tuition to FIU for one academic year ($1,000 per semester) commencing Spring 2016 semester. (Recipient must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA for both the Spring 2016 and Fall 2016 semesters.) The winner will also receive a meal award and a $500 book award.
- Second Place - $1,000 towards one semester tuition to FIU for the Spring 2016 semester, a meal award, and a $500 book award.
- Third Place - $500 towards the Spring 2016 tuition, a meal award, and a $500 book award.
Please mail essays to Attn: Dr. Dorret Sawyers, Florida International University, Office of Multicultural Programs and Services, Modesto Maidique Campus – GC-216, 11200 SW 8th St., Miami, Florida 33199. For questions please call (305) 348-2436.
Notification: Winners will be notified by December 4, 2015 and will receive their awards at the MLK Reception and Awards Ceremony on Thursday, January 14, 2016. They will also be invited to the MLK Commemorative events.